Pearl Education - Please enter your jewelry question or comment.
Pearl Education - Please enter your jewelry question or comment. > Pearl Custom Orders

TylerB
custom ring for Tyler
03-11-2012, 10:51 AM

American Pearl,
I was wondering if it would be possible to make this ring and if so could you give me an estimate? Also, I am currently serving in afghanistan and would like to have it shipped to me in alaska at the end of next month if possible. Thank you for your help. I would like the ring to have about an 11mm white south sea pearl, with white 18ct gold, I'm not what the band width should be and am open to suggestions. Her ring size is a 7. Thank you so much for your help.

Tyler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3157-350x350.jpg (14.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by pearleducation; 03-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.

pearleducation
Pearl Ring - Custom Made
03-11-2012, 11:52 AM

That's a beautiful pearl ring. It looks like another ring on American Pearl. Have you seen this ring below? Also, do you have any specifics about the ring such as pearl quality, pearl luster, etc...

Of course, we don't need this information now to start the pearl ring design and creation process, however, I would be interested to know. Also, it looks like this ring has a substantial amount of gold. Depending on the intended purpose of the ring, you may also want to consider other metals like silver or platinum.

Also, is this going to be an engagement ring? We love pearl engagement rings as we feel an extra sense of purpose in making them as good quality as they can be as they must endure and last a lifetime.

I know you are overseas in Afghanistan. We pray for your safety and we will work fast to get you the ring you are looking for, at the quality you expect at the proper price.

Eddie
American Pearl
576 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10036
800-847-3275
Since 1950 - The World's Finest Pearls at Wholesale Prices
http://www.americanpearl.com

American Diamond
The Finest Quality Diamond Rings
http://www.americandiamond.com

Last edited by pearleducation; 03-11-2012 at 11:55 AM.

TylerB
03-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. This will be an engagement ring. I saw that one on your web site. I think that might actually be a good choice. Would it be possible to upgrade it a bit? I would like to have a AAA quality white pearl and I was thinking 18 ct gold would be nice too.
Thanks for your kind words. I'm thankful its almost over. I've been here 11 months now so I'm really looking forward to being back in alaska next month.

TylerB
03-12-2012, 03:49 AM

Eddie,
I tried replying last night but I don't think it saved. This is going to be an engagement ring! I'm pretty excited about it. I actually think I would like to go with the one from american pearl that you showed me but was wondering about having it made in 18ct white gold and if you think upgrading the pearl to a AAA quality one would be a good idea.
Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure the rest of this deployment will be fine. I'll be home pretty soon too which is nice. Thanks for all your help

Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearleducation
That's a beautiful pearl ring. It looks like another ring on American Pearl. Have you seen this ring below? Also, do you have any specifics about the ring such as pearl quality, pearl luster, etc...

Of course, we don't need this information now to start the pearl ring design and creation process, however, I would be interested to know. Also, it looks like this ring has a substantial amount of gold. Depending on the intended purpose of the ring, you may also want to consider other metals like silver or platinum.

Also, is this going to be an engagement ring? We love pearl engagement rings as we feel an extra sense of purpose in making them as good quality as they can be as they must endure and last a lifetime.

I know you are overseas in Afghanistan. We pray for your safety and we will work fast to get you the ring you are looking for, at the quality you expect at the proper price.

Eddie
American Pearl
576 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10036
800-847-3275

American Diamond

pearleducation
Pearl Engagement Ring
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

We can definitely do the "Fenris" ring in 18K White Gold for you. There is a slight charge of $75 for the customization/upgrade.

I wanted to point out that you originally asked for a 11mm white Australian south sea cultured pearl for your custom ring, whereas the "Fenris" ring we offer has an 8.5mm natural color Akoya Pearl from Japan; hence the pearl size is smaller than the larger 11mm we were originally going to custom make for you. Please also note that a custom pearl ring with an 11mm pearl is considerably more costly than a smaller size pearl that we already have in stock (because we have the ring in stock, we do not have to design a new ring style for you).

In addition, I wanted to familiarize you with the different pearl sizes. Fortunately, we have a section on our website that is called "Shop By Model" where we feature some pearl rings on actual models so you can get an idea of what pearl sizes look like on different women wearing them. Since I have been doing this for over two decades, I am intimately familiar with what the different pearl sizes look like and what sizes I think might be appropriate for a pearl engagement ring.

However, I wanted to bring this experience to you through this gallery so I have selected some pictures here for you to use as a benchmark for comparison:

Here is a 9.75mm natural color black Tahitian Pearl on a plain 18K White gold shank just so you can get an idea of sizing:

Here is a 10.5mm Tahitian pearl set on American Pearl's Eunice ring:

Here are two 12mm pearl set on two separate pearl rings. I think from seeing the 9.7mm pearl, the 10.5mm pearl and the 12mm pearls, you can get an idea of what you originally asked for in an "11mm pearl" and if its the right size for her and if your new thinking that you might want the "Fenris" ring with an 8.5mm pearl is right. Please see the pearls below:

Eddie
American Pearl
576 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10036
800-847-3275

American Diamond

Last edited by pearleducation; 03-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.

TylerB
03-12-2012, 10:04 AM

I think I like the size of the smaller pearl better. I think the 11mm would be a little too large for her hand. I'm not so much worried about cost. I just want it to be something that she will love and be proud of. The 9.75 looks about perfect. Will the 8.5 look much smaller than that? The 11mm size came from the specs I found for another ring that looked similar to the one that I showed you. Seeing it on the model helped a good bit for comparison. I would like to go with 18ct gold for sure.

pearleducation
Pearl Engagement Ring | Upgrade Pearl Size
03-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Tyler,

If you look at the Fenris ring, there is an option to increase the size and quality of the pearl from the 8.5mm AA that is set in the ring now to a 9mm AAA quality pearl. Regarding the sizing, yes, knowing that you like the 9.75mm in the shop by pearl model samples we showed you, I would recommend upgrading the pearl size to the 9mm as it will look closest to what you would like. This would be an Akoya Pearl from Japan. In addition, you can select the pearl color: rose or silver by indicating so in the COMMENTS FIELD of the order during checkout. In addition, I wanted to point out before you order that the Fenris ring has two Marquise shaped brilliant diamonds flanked on either side of the pearl ring's shank as shown in the picture which is slightly different than the original ring you posted about in this forum. I just wanted to bring this to your attention before you order.

For your convenience, here is a link to the ring:

http://www.americanpearl.com/r11726adcp5.html

We're really excited for you! Again, we hope for your safety and look forward to your speedy return home so you can gift this ring!

Eddie
American Pearl
576 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10036
800-847-3275

American Diamond

Last edited by pearleducation; 03-13-2012 at 08:50 AM.

stephen
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Tyler,

Nice choice on the ring. The AAA akoyas are really amazing looking. I bought my wife a strand of AA's (7x7.5mm) and they are outstanding. That setting is really classy. Eddie had suggested platinum earlier when you were still talking about a custom ring. I wonder if it can be done in platinum?I think almost all white gold sold in the US (and almost every where else for that matter) is rhodium plated. It makes the gold look really nice and bright, but over time that plating wears down and you start the ring and a little yellow will start to show through. This can be fixed by having the ring replated, but I think they have to take the pearl off the ring, replate it, than reset the pearl. That can get tricky. Platinum, on the other hand, isn't as bright as white gold, but it isn't plated. When it gets scratched, the jeweler can (carefully) put it on the polishing wheel and it's good as new. Plus, even when scratched and scuffed, you never have to worry about the yellow showing through.

Right now, gold prices are higher than platinum (first time that's ever happened). I am not sure how that effects setting prices, but you might want to ask if they can order the setting in platinum (even it cost a little more than 18k white gold). Engagement rings take are worn every day and they take a beating over the years. I would probably want the metal that will be the easiest to maintain. My wife's engagement ring is set in platinum, but to save money, her wedding band was 18k white gold. We have to have it replated almost every year. Anyway, I would defer to Eddie on this. Every time I have gone against his advice, I have ended up returning my purchase and getting the piece he recommended the first time.

--Steve